Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The Birth of The Kosher Bachelor: Sesame-Peanut Noodles


You may recall from my first post that I once had a couple over for dinner who ate before they arrived, thinking that this single guy living alone and working full time isn't going to be able to cook anything of any substance. It was only after the third helping of these noodles that they admitted their grievous error and begged (OK, I'm exaggerating this a little) forgiveness. It was then that I had the inspiration for The Kosher Bachelor.

This is one of the first dishes I made when I started having Shabbat guests a few years ago and it consistently receives rave reviews. Last week when I attended the Purim meal with a local family and asked what I could bring, the daughter repeatedly asked for the noodles. I made shwarma instead but promised they would have the noodles when they came to me later in the week for Shabbat dinner (which they did and devoured them, along with the corned beef).

These are great served hot or chilled, as an appetizer, side dish, or a quick lunch. Enjoy! 





Sesame-Peanut Noodles

1 box whole-wheat spaghetti

Sauce
1/3 cup peanut butter
1/3 cup soy sauce
1 tbs sesame oil
1 tbs sugar
Sesame seeds
1 tsp (approximately) garlic powder
Cilantro
1 tsp (or to taste) crushed red pepper

Cook noodles according to directions on the box. After they are finished cooking, reserve a couple of tablespoons of the starchy liquid. Drain the noodles and set them aside. 

In a large pot, combine the peanut butter, soy sauce, sugar, garlic, sriracha, and sesame oil. Mix on medium heat until ingredients combine into a thick sauce. Add in the starchy water and mix thoroughly.

Lower the heat and add the noodles and toss to coat.  Garnish with sesame seeds, crushed red pepper, and cilantro.  Serve warm or chilled.

Prep time: Less than five minutes
Cooking time: About 10 minutes

1 comment:

  1. we LOVE these noodles!! mmmm. when Josh says "what can I bring?" we almost always say... these noodles (unless its Pesach!)

    The first time I tasted something like this, we had a party when my now 23 yr old turned 1. A friend (whose father was a caterer!!) brought a bowl of peanut - sesame - pasta, served cold - and it was yummy. Josh's recipe is equally yummy - or maybe even better.

    ReplyDelete