Monday, April 23, 2012

Zucchini Soup (Pareve)

This past Shabbat was memorable for a few reasons. It was my first Shabbat spent on New York's Upper West Side. And I had a delicious zucchini soup Friday night (and again Saturday night) that I knew I had to steal immediately.

OK, I didn't really steal it. The host/cook gave me the recipe with full permission to post it here. She, however, did actually steal it from a former roommate and tweaked it. I'm tweaking it a little, too, but not much. It's the circle of life.


Zucchini Soup


1 large onion, quartered
olive oil
4 sprigs parsley (dried is OK instead)
1 carrot
4 medium zucchini
1 large parsnip
9 c. water
1/2 tsp tarragon
5 tbsp chicken soup mix or vegetable soup mix powder
Salt and pepper to taste
Dice the onion and sauté it in olive oil, about 2 tbsp, until it becomes translucent. Cut the zucchini into large chunks and then add all the ingredients to a large pot with a lid.  

Bring to a boil and then simmer for 30 minutes.  After letting the soup cool, blend with immersion blender or puree in processor. Return to pot and add salt and pepper to taste. 

This also stores very well in the fridge and reheats well. 


1 comment: