Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Harissa Chicken


Harissa is a Tunisian hot pepper mix popularized in Israel by Moroccan and North African immigrants. It is typically made from chilli peppers, garlic, coriander, and olive oil.  It goes great with meats or as a dip on its own. If you're really ambitious, you can make your own. 

I'm not that ambitious. I prefer to buy mine at the local store. I have used Pereg brand in the past, which I enjoyed, but recently tried Shim'on Ariche, a brand I found at the local Fairway supermarket. It comes in a handy squeeze bottle and it's very spicy. It's also a bit salty, which makes it difficult to use just as a spread,  but the saltiness balances out in cooking.
 
Now, I used to just use harissa with my shwarma, but after watching somebody cook with it on Food Network a few years ago I got inspired and came up with the spicy dish below. 

This recipe also uses schug. Check out my past post on Israeli spices to learn more about schug

*The Kosher Bachelor is not responsible if your head explodes from the heat*

Harissa Chicken

4 tablespoons harissa
3 tablespoons red schug
3-4 cloves garlic
1/3 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons honey
3-5 lbs chicken thighs and chicken leg quarters (with back portion)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 

Combine ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Lay out chicken evenly in a large baking dish. Baste the chicken thoroughly with the harissa mixture and then pour the remaining mixture into the dish. 

Cook uncovered at 350 degrees for 1 ½ hours.  


This dish pairs very well with rice. It's easy, spicy, and delicious! Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Delicious, juicy, tasty, and not too spicy.

    ReplyDelete