Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Potato salad

Happy Fourth of July, everybody!

Like many other proud Americans today, I attended a barbecue and I brought with me some of my famous homemade potato salad. This recipe was handed down to me from my mother, who got it from her father. It's a very old-world style potato salad, like you'd find in a good Jewish deli.

I remember I made it for a party a few years ago and one person there said he really liked it and he doesn't typically like potato salad because most use pickles and he hates pickles. Imagine his surprise when I told him the secret ingredient was a couple of sour pickles. Chop them up fine enough and they accentuate the flavors of the salad instead of overpowering.

I also made my coleslaw for the barbecue, which I recommend reviewing. With summer BBQ season officially underway these recipes will be great standbys for you.

Potato salad



5 lbs russet potatoes
4 large sour pickles
5 stalks of celery
2 cups mayonnaise (or more to taste)
Salt
Canola oil

Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil and add in the potatoes. Boil the potatoes in their skins until they become fork tender and the skins begin to fall off, about 25 minutes. Boiling the potatoes in their skins makes them much easier to peel afterward.

Drain the potatoes and let them cool a bit, then peel them and cut them into chunks. Place the chunks into a large bowl and coat with a small amount of oil, I used about four cap-fulls. Toss well to coat. 

Finely chop the celery and pickles. I use a food processor fitted with a blade on pulse until just about before the pickles become relish. Add the mixture to the potatoes. 

Add in the mayo and mix well. Salt to taste and then mix it again. Refrigerate overnight in a covered container to allow the flavors to meld and enjoy the next day. 




No comments:

Post a Comment